Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rice Milk, Cow Milk, and Almond Milk

We now have three kinds of milk in our fridge-and there are only four of us! J and W now have to avoid milk!
J and W were re-tested for allergies this morning. It was painful to watch...they were not happy about all those pricks--not to mention the "stinging" they had to experience afterwards. They have all kinds of allergies but the "food" allergies were the most notable. Eggs, soy, and peanuts we knew already--but this time they also had a reaction to tree nuts and MILK. MILK!? Something that they have all the time...so it won't cause an anaphalactic reaction or anything but the doctor told us to eliminate it and we may help alleviate their eczema a little.
But for the most part it was a positive visit. J reacted to egg but not as strongly as W...so the doctor said just to avoid it for another year. He thinks they will grow out of all the allergies with the exception of the tree nut and peanut.
I told the boys we could get ice cream after their appointment. When the doctor told us to avoid milk I said "well, I guess we can go find some rice cream!" Which we did. And we also scanned the refrigerator section and saw a huge variety of coconut milk, goat's milk, and even hemp...at least I saw a couple of flavors of hemp ice cream! I forgot to have them tested for coconut. That would have been a good one to know. There was a large selection on coconut yogurts, milks, ice cream, etc.

On a completely different note...I took a picture of the boys the other day when they were sitting on the floor - so much alike. Look at their feet. The same but opposite.
And since my friend Christina brought me a...
MONSTER zucchini...the boys and I got busy making lots of zucchini bread.
And yet another random note....yesterday morning the fog was amazing....I had to take a few pictures after I returned from a jog. If you look close you can see the very tip of Mt. Shasta (still has snow)...
It looked like our house was just floating in clouds when I woke up. Not as strong here but still neat to look at.

3 comments:

Alexis said...

I hope the rice cream was better than it sounds. I am pretty sure The Frosty Spoon has lactose free frozen yogurt???

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. My husband is allergic to chicken, eggs and soy. Milk would put me over the edge...ha ha! At least they will out grow a lot of it!

Melissa said...

Poor boys. I hope they do grow out of all this, but then you'll have to relearn how to cook with normal food again. Your view is beautiful!