Saturday, October 30, 2010

Skunked

I believe I had said in a previous post something about going after that skunk. Well, I didn't really mean it. But Katy took it to heart. Very late on Friday night I was just crawling into bed when I heard one of the dogs whimpering loudly. I asked Geoff to go check on them...and I heard him groan and say that the dogs got skunked...for the third time for those of you keeping track. And then came the burn-your-nose-eyes kind of smell. It is amazing how it even penetrates through the walls!
We must be getting smarter though because we had a large unopened bottle of hydrogen peroxide and I made up the de-skunking concoction while Geoff inspected the girls. Katy was the only one that got hit...and scratched on her nose. Which means that she actually had contact with the skunk. Before we just assumed they had been sprayed through the fence.
So I called our vet (since 25% of skunks carry rabies even though they may not act like it...it can just be in their blood) just to see if Katy needed a booster shot. She just had the vaccine in the last 6-7 months so she is OK. And even though it was late and cold...Geoff proceeded with bathing Katy in the mixture and it worked amazing compared to the first few times. Getting it off as soon as possible is key.
Then Geoff said he needed a flashlight to look in the back yard for a dead skunk...which hadn't even crossed my mind. I will spare you the details. But I will just say that Katy fared better than the skunk this time. Poor cute little thing.

The boys helped Geoff bury it in the field. RIP little guy. RIP.
:(

1 comment:

Amber said...

Um, only YOU would be sad for a dead skunk!