Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Paint Predicament

I decided it was time to paint the playroom. Our house has a nice color but it is all the same (and there is a lot of it) so I really wanted some different colors to warm up the space a little. I am starting with the playroom because it is at the front of the house and the ceilings aren't so high.

So I have been pouring over paint swatches for weeks. I found one I was certain I loved (a Restoration Hardware color I kept from last fall) but when I painted the sample on the wall...it looked too band-aid-like (too much pink in the brown). I had a great color in FL that I loved but I cannot find the swatch I saved. And I think I bought it at Lowes (Eddie Bauer) and there isn't a Lowes here.
Last Saturday I was extremely motivated to put a warm latte-cappuchino-like color in the playroom. I went to Home Depot and Sherwin Williams and agonized over the swatches...I even used their light machines to make sure I was certain.

I was 100% positive I would love the color "Heath" by Martha Stewart. But when I put it on the wall I was not in love. It had too much green it it...and it looked flat...it looks a lot like the color of wet cement. I was so disappointed!!

I am wondering if the base color effected the color...who knows?

I NEED ADVICE!! Does anyone have a favorite paint color in the warm neutral brown/beige category. I am not afraid to go darker...or any other painting tips??
This is the color I liked in FL - I am looking for somthing like this...I know they can color match but I don't think it would be accurate from a picture on the computer? I don't know.
Help!

6 comments:

The Nicholsons said...

The color you showed in the picture looks a lot like the color of our living room is Crestview. We used the following Valspar color, unfortunately from Lowe's. But if you google the color you can actually see it online. It's 93-3C Lyndhurst Mushroom , you can also look at our online ad for our house. It's at www.eglinhouse.blogspot.com.

Lisa G said...

we love the color shaded path by fresh aire from home depot. it looks similar to the color your showing, maybe a little lighter. the best part...the paint has no VOC's so it won't off gas chemicals into your boys' playroom! lots of places are carrying low to no VOC paint these days.

Unknown said...

Well, I had many an issue with my dining room color too...but ended up with a Home Depot color named Canvasback that we color matched to Sherwin Williams. It's darker than the "base, builder color".

AFJ said...

Thank you Lisa and Lisa and Amy! I will check out all of those colors.

Leslie said...

We like Sherwin Williams "bagel" and the other colors on that strip. It's a tan that doesn't turn pink or green or gray. But it looks like your picture might be a bit green, so bagel might not be what you're looking for.

Leslie said...

We like Sherwin Williams "bagel" and the other colors on that strip. It's a tan that doesn't turn pink or green or gray. But it looks like your picture might be a bit green, so bagel might not be what you're looking for.