Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wonderful Glorious Normal Day

This is what our kitchen looked like when we ran out of the house this morning.  Geoff was taking the kids to school and I was going to a PT appointment.  Our mess consisted of our lunch box supplies for the boys, the breakfast dishes and food, and some groceries that hadn't been put away along with some other junk.  And this doesn't show the other half of the kitchen...the counters were covered.
But I am celebrating my messy kitchen and running-around - a "normal" day in honor of our friend and fellow F-15 pilot Ryan who is battling cancer in TX with everything he has right now for the second time.  His wife Aimee said he had been hit with "the shock and awe of chemotherapy" today.

She wrote the following post on FB and it sure puts the ordinary, everyday, mundane things into perspective.

"THANK YOU everybody for the prayers, texts, posts, and phone calls of support. I find it a little overwhelming to respond to them all but please know I LOVE hearing from all of you. I especially love hearing about the "normal" in your life, the things you consider boring but the stuff I fantasize about returning to one day like wondering when my husband's going to get home from Roll Call or calling my husband at work to pick up the boys after school or negotiating whether it is his turn or my turn to clean our bathroom."

Aimee has been great about posting updates and photos.  Ryan has leukemia and they found a match for him with cord blood!  I didn't even know in some hospitals you can donate cord blood.  Here is a photo of Ryan and Aimee on Transplant Day.  He was receiving a cord blood transplant in the morning and one in the afternoon.  She bought him a "Thing 2 shirt" for being patient #2 of the first phase of the clinical trial he is in.  Please join us in sending lots of prayers their way!!

No comments: