Friday, July 16, 2010

Crafty Time


Our library here is fantastic. The only time I have seen "traffic" in our town is on the way to the library on Wednesday morning!

They have a full-up summer reading program for kids that is quite impressive. Especially because most libraries I have seen tend to shut down all programs over the summer. The program here includes "Stories in the Park" on Tues and Thurs at different outdoor parks....complete with lunch for kids 12 and under...the boys each grabbed a lunch bag last week and it had a roast beef/cheese sandwich, carrots, fruit and choice of white or chocolate milk. Wow. I was expecting smooshed peanut butter and jelly and juice or something.

On Wednesday the library features a presenter or a craft day. Separate presenters for kids seven and another presenter for the kiddos over seven. We saw Eric Herman the musician and Albert Alter a juggling clown so far.

This past Wednesday they had a big craft day titled "Living in the Water" and there were at least ten different stations broken out by age group. All kids completing two crafts submit their cards for a door prize drawing...during lunch. I am so surprised they provide lunches Tues, Wed and Thurs...especially if you could see the turn-out on Wednesdays. The library is able to block off a side street for traffic for the lunch and they block the entire library off for just kids and the adults accompanying the kids.

J and W made a crab and a man-of-war (pic above). All of the library's planned craft projects were really creative. They had frogs, box turtles, colorful fish, alligators, and an amazing looking dolphin for older kids. I thought the boys' crafts were cute and we didn't even do the tie-dyed painting on top of the man-of-war.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Wow! That is a great library program! Don't you just love the library? I get a big cheesy grin on my face walking into the place. I can't believe they provide lunch, too! That's amazing, seriously!