Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

Don't you love it when you try a new recipe and it turns out fabulous and you put it in your "keeper" file? I made this bread yesterday with lots of healthy modifications and it turned out yummy and moist...I put the original recipe below with my modifications in parenthesis. I was going to put a cinnamon/sugar crumble on top but forgot...will try that next time. I was really surprised that the egg replacer did not effect the recipe since it had three eggs...and really surprised how much sugar I could cut out without effecting flavor. Love that it has 2 full cups of shredded zucchini too. Couldn't even see it or taste it in the baked loaves. Found it on allrecipes.com

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

Submitted By: LAUJRA
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 45 Minutes

Servings: 12

Ingredients:
3 eggs, lightly beaten (I used egg replacer for all)
1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups white sugar (whoa...used 1 and 3/4 cup and it was sweet enough)
2 cups shredded zucchini (yes!)
3 cups all-purpose flour (used 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose and 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 pint fresh blueberries (used 1 and 1/2 cups...may use frozen next time)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans.

2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans.

3. Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Thanks for sharing! What is egg replacer?

AFJ said...

It is a cornstarch-like product that I mix with water to replace eggs due to J and W's allergy. It works great! We also have found that using 1/4 cup of applesauce actually works well in place of an egg in pancakes, waffles, etc. I knew you could use applesauce to replace oil...but it has worked well in place of eggs too. I may due a post on this...

TW said...

Loved the recipe! I just made it with more modifications.
I added carrots, because my zuchini was too small.
Used just 3/4 C sugar and 2 T honey.
2 C whole wheat flour and 1cup of mixed spelt flour, quinoa flour and bread machine flour.
Used 1/2 C coconut oil (actually just shy of 1/2 cup and filled the rest with olive oil to the 1/2 mark... that coconut oil is expensive!) and 1/2 C whole vanilla yogurt.
Yogurt subs for oil well.
Added wheat germ and ground flaxseed meal too.
More cinnamon... about 1.5 T b/c that spice is very good for you!
Also made them in muffin pans and it took about 40 mins.
A keeper!!