Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Update

We headed to Bend for an appointment with the neurosurgeon on Monday. The doctor was nice but speedy and we left realizing we had a lot more questions.

Here's the bottomline:
After reviewing the MRI, he confirmed that I do have a ruptured disc. And it is pressing right on the nerve. So, the next step will be to see if we can get the inflammation down enough to remove the pressure on the nerve to get the pain to disappear.

It has taken my mind awhile to realize that it is OK to have a herniated disc. I was so hung up on the need to "fix it" - I don't want anything broken in my body. But apparently herniated discs are quite common - YOU could even have one...but it may never come to light if it doesn't cause any pain.

So I started a 7-day oral steroid plan - and am praying that alone will do the job.
If not, I have to visit an anesthesiologist for a big fat shot in my neck. Yes, picture having an epidural in.your.neck. No thank you very much. But I guess if it prevents surgery...I will have to grin and bear it. The doctor also wants me to have some more traction done on my neck in the meantime. And he still wants to see me again in two weeks. And to call their office every few days with updates. And to research our insurance policy view's on artificial discs.

But we'll worry about that later.

2 comments:

Mindi said...

Oh girl...
I hope the current plan works so you don't have to have anything more invasive done!

The Nicholsons said...

Praying that the current therapy works!!