
Photo from klamathicesports.org
We saw that the local rink was closing for the season this weekend so we decided to go ice skating yesterday. The rink is about 20 minutes from our house and it is beautiful. The photo above is from the ice sports website. (not my picture)...and it did not look like that yesterday. No snow here...in fact it was in the 60s yesterday and beautiful.
Geoff and I realized that the last time we went ice skating was in Sun Valley, Idaho - six years ago!! So we were rusty anyway, and completely rusty with skating with toddlers! We tried their "Family Skate" deal. $5 each for Geoff and I to skate (including skates!) and $3 each for the boys. I must say, as soon as we were fitting the boys' skates on I was doubting our decision to take them skating.
J was excited to try...W for some reason decided earlier in the day that he didn't want to ice skate. But they both put their skates on and surprised us by how bold they were just jogging across the ground quickly on the single blade.
J ready to skate! He sure looks ready doesn't he?
Luckily for me, an instructor came over to me and offered a "beginning" technique of getting them to just march in place. So J held onto the wall and my hand and "marched" all around the rink. Not so bad.
W enjoyed the ice initially, and Geoff did the hold-him-between-the-legs-and-push-around technique which made Geoff ask for Motrin as soon as we left the rink.
I am already excited about next winter and trying to skate again. The rink offers lessons, hockey leagues for 5 and up, broomball, and soon to be curling. I believe they also bring professional skating shows here to watch.
No comments:
Post a Comment