Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ernest Avery

My grandpa passed away in January...he was 89 years old. He died in his sleep without suffering from any major health problems - such a blessing.

I can't taste or smell honey without thinking about my grandpa. My grandparents always had it at their house. And I can't eat peanut butter without thinking of him either. He didn't like it at all and we would joke about rubbing peanut butter on his head...he said that maybe it would make him grow some hair.

My grandparents lived on a farm most of their life. He farmed his family farm for 50 years. I will always remember getting in his big old blue truck (without a seatbelt) and he would floor it and drive like crazy around his farm. And he always liked to go to the creek bed to fish...and I always remember my heart racing when it seemed he would wait until the last minute to stop the truck before the creek. I always thought we were going to go in!
My grandpa was my last grandparent left and the boys last great grandparent. He had a big heart and a passion for books, flowers, and telling stories. Until his last day he was known for cutting flowers for the residents of the Manor and showing the new residents around. And he was a very proud Marine. He was so full of life that it was easy to become naive that he would always be around. Here are some of my favorite pictures with him...
We love you.
1920-2010

1 comment:

M said...

andrea,
I was just catching up on your blog and you just brought me to tears with this lovely post about your grandfather. I am so sorry to hear he passed, but WOW your love for him is evident. what an amazing man. Thanks for sharing.
Michelle