Thursday, May 15, 2008

W*A*W

What*A*Week

The whole "crib climbing" debacle has become a big problem. I guess I was enjoying the last couple of months of good naps too much. As soon as I get used to a routine...BAM..BOOM BINGA......something changes. I guess it is God's way of keeping me on my toes. Today was the first day since Sunday that both boys took a nap at the same time and for more than a few minutes. I am fairly certain that W napped on the floor of the bedroom but after I heard *quiet*, I wasn't about to open the door and risk the door bumping into him and waking him up.

It started on Monday with them both getting out of their cribs as soon as I put them down for their naps. I anticipated having to put them back in their cribs maybe once or twice before they went to sleep...not 10 or 12 times! I even had to bust out with some spanking. And you know what? They just laughed! They were so delirious with their newfound independence that they just giggled the whole time. They didn't even realize that I was angry and very frustrated. I removed the rocking chair from their room thinking that would slow them down from climbing out of their crib but it didn't matter one bit. They popped right back out. I finally shut the door and let them tire themselves out. I heard them pulling out all of the contents of their closets. After an hour of destruction they started banging on the door and whining. So I put them back in their cribs one more time and they finally went to sleep. This all started at noon...1145 to be exact....and they finally went to sleep (albeit for 30 minutes) at 2pm.

And the struggles have continued since. Not so much at night, just for their naptime. W has also figured out how to turn the door knob to get out of the room...he was pretty proud of himself for figuring that out. Good thing that there is a lock on the outside of their bedroom door already.

They (especially W) have also been fighting me when we go out in public. I normally just put them in their stroller when I run errands but sometimes (if it is a quick stop) I will carry one and the other will hold my hand. So much for that. I think that they think: No stroller=free access to run rampant wherever I choose!

I had to make a quick exchange at CVS and it was crazy. They both ran in different directions. W grabbed a whole bunch of magazines and threw them on the ground while J was knocking large bottles of mouthwash off the shelves. Then I decided I had to pick W up. He is now a champion at straightening his body or arching his back so it makes it very hard to hold him. So I am struggling to hold him with both arms and J decides it is time to be chased and starts running down the makeup aisles giggling. Someone who worked there had to point out to me where he was. So we hightailed it out of there. I decided that the exchange was not that important.

The little rascals:

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Boys boys boys. I'd have no idea what to do!

pheather said...

Oh, Andrea - God bless you. I'm so sorry I said I enjoyed the crib climbing story from earlier in the week - now I feel bad! You are such a good, patient mommy!

AFJ said...

No need to feel bad Heather...I thought it was funny at first too. Hopefully Jackson won't be a big climber.