On the fifth day of Christmas my doctor prescribed to me: Breathing treatments for my boys a coughing....
On the sixth day of Christmas my doctor prescribed to me: A penicillin shot in J's tooshy (ow)
Not the healthiest week for us! The boys both started antibiotic eye drops for pink eye on Saturday. By Saturday evening they both had runny noses...then J's cough just took off so we started our breathing treatments. W seemed OK but I kept J from school...good thing because by Wednesday he was coughing non-stop and felt feverish so another trip to the pediatrician. He had a fever of 101+ and some white dots on the back of his throat. I asked the PA about strep since it had been going around town and she said "I don't think it is strep but we can swab it to see." Sure enough. Positive for strep. So then our friend Alicia (who is a nurse there) and I started looking at W--hmmm...does he have strep?
W. He was happy as a clam the whole appointment since he wasn't the "patient." He made sure he clarified that to Alicia several times during the visit.
"I am W."
"That is J."
"I don't need the doctor to see me."
"That is J over there."
But W also had a slight temperature and the same spots on his throat when they checked! Great! So we had to swab him but it was negative thank goodness.
I felt so bad for J though...he has been walking stiff since that shot and he screamed "IT STINGS!!!" when he got the shot. I can never get used to their pain when they get shots. What makes me tear up everytime? Just glancing at W while J is screaming....if you could see his face....fear, tears, pain, worry, empathy, TERROR...whoever gets the shot...the other might as well too based on their reaction to the others cry. I elected for the shot over the medicine because the shot lets them feel better faster...rather than 10 days of medicine. Hopefully we can all get over this stuff soon!
3 comments:
So sorry the boys aren't well this week! Not fun. Hopefully they will be feeling 100% by Christmas!!
Oh, boo!! I was hoping they were on the mend! I'm so sorry about the shot - I can imagine how awful that is. Hope they feel better soon! Please let me know if you need anything!
Dr. visits are so hard for little ones. And their moms! Hope everyone is completely recovered by Christmas so they can wake up at o dark thirty and tear into presents without coughs or fevers!
Post a Comment