My friend Theresa recently sent out an e-mail asking for easy, good recipes for her kids...we just had some success with a couple of new recipes so I figured I would post them here.
Bean Quesadillas (From Bush's Barbecue Baked Beans)
I made these this afternoon and thought they were a good, easy variation on the traditional quesadilla:
Tortillas
Baked Beans (I use the vegetarian variety)
Shredded Cheese (I like Sargento reduced-fat mexican)
Fresh Cilantro (I used a little dried)
Preheat grill and lightly spray one side of tortilla with cooking spray. Place tortilla, sprayed side down, on work surface. Spoon 1/4 beans over half of tortilla. Top with 1/4 cheese and 1 Tbs cilantro. Fold remaining tortilla half over filling, to make half-moon-shape quesadilla. Grill until tortillas are lightly browned and crisp 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve with sour cream.
Cottage Cheese Sundaes:
Top cottage cheese with Motts Natural fruit-flavored applesauce (we love the Peach Medley variety)...fresh sliced strawberries, craisins, and whatever else you can think of....granola, almonds (if kids aren't allergic), flax seed, wheat germ, and maybe some sprinkles for fun.
Chili Pizza
Another idea that Geoff does in the fall/winter. He makes a great turkey chili recipe. And for leftovers, he will lay tortillas flat on a baking sheet to cover the entire bottom. Then spoon chili on top of the tortillas, then sprinkle with cheese and bake for a different kind of pizza.
Pizza
Our guys like Boboli pizza with sauce (I love Newmans Own Sockarooni), fresh pineapple, green peppers, and cheese.
Chicken Nuggets
An easy healthy way to make chicken nuggets. Just brush chicken with dijon or honey mustard, dip in bread crumbs and bake.
Sweet Potato Fries
The guys eat a scary-large amount of these when I make them.
Just wash and peel a sweet potato. Cut into wedges and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake. I haven't paid attention to the best baking time or temp on this. I think the last time it was 15-20 minutes on 400 degrees.
Same as Leslie, my mom made the english muffin sandwiches when I was little. She made a tuna salad, put it on an open english muffin, sprinkled with cheese, and broiled it. She also broiled us bagels with cheddar cheese on top. Thanks for all the ideas! Anyone have something they have tried lately?
3 comments:
Those are great ideas! Our kids like bean burritos - same idea but I put the beans, a little cheese (we use Veggie slices b/c of allergies) and a few drops of wing sauce in a tortilla. Microwave for 20-30 seconds and roll them up - they are easy and they love them!! We'll have to try the sweet potato fries - so yummy!!!
Tried the chicken nuggets last night and they were good. I too make sweet potato fries...mmm. Thanks for the tips!
I am going to try all of these! We are doing sweet potato fries tonight. I always have a hard time thinking of meals for J. Thanks for the great ideas!
Post a Comment