A few weeks ago the boys randomly got sick to their stomachs at different times. First it was J...and J didn't have the stomach flu that W and I had a couple of weeks prior so I thought it was his turn. But then he got sick again. Then he was running around playing and feeling fine. In fact, I didn't take him to school that day because I wasn't sure.
Fast forward a couple of days later and W had some bread, threw up, wanted cereal, then threw up and told me he was hungry. If the boys get the flu, they can't stay awake between getting sick...but he kept popping back up and wanting to eat again. He got sick once more than slept...then was perfectly fine.
Their reaction was so similar to what happens if they have egg but they only had known foods those days to include a local bakery's cinnamon bread. They have had that bread for over a year without any problem. I did notice that they changed the bread from white to wheat a month ago but nothing changed on their ingredient label. I still wouldn't let them eat anymore of the cinnamon bread.
Yesterday we went to the bakery and the boys wanted cinnamon bread. It had been a few weeks and since I never confirmed what made them sick we just bought it. We got into the car and I let them choose between a roll or a piece of cinnamon bread. W had the cinnamon bread and J (thank goodness) had the roll. Off we went to the library. Then W started getting a little grumpy.
And he was asleep about a minute after getting back into the van. So we ran a few more errands until we got to the grocery store and I woke him up so we could all go in. W immediately wanted to ride in the cart and put his head down and said his belly hurt. I asked "like you need a bag-kind-of-belly hurt?" He nodded.
We went home and he fell asleep again for another hour. Then woke up moaning and groaning and pointing to his belly and then he finally threw up and felt better.
I called the bakery and asked the owner is they changed anything with the cinnamon bread and reminded them of the egg allergy. She said that they did change the recipe to a higher wheat content and she believed the baker was adding egg wash before sprinkling the streusel on because the bread was collapsing in the center. So I knew right away and she knew right away. She said she would see if they were going to continue with the new recipe and if so immediately update the ingredients on the label.
Goodness. It is tough finding "safe" foods when we are out...and when we do, we become habitual about it. I am just glad we found this out now!
3 comments:
That is amazing that a little egg wash would make them so sick! I'm sure the baker felt horrible about not listing it on the ingredients. Good sleuthing Super Mom!
Poor guys. Man, I remember that day at my house when they both got sick on the baby food with eggs in it. Good job for you to tell them to update the ingredients on the bread immediately!
L, I don't think I would ever call myself "Super Mom!" :) but thank you. And M, I totally forgot the boys got sick at your house that one time! Now I remember trying to rush from your house so they wouldn't get sick in the car...which I think they did...in addition to in your kitchen and your bathroom wasn't it? Or did we not even make it to the bathroom. Ugh. SO sorry!
Post a Comment