Sunday, September 6, 2009

So Proud of You.


Geoff is home! It is so nice to be together as a family again. Thanks to everyone for the calls, e-mails and prayers while he was gone. And we are SO proud of you Geoff for completing another deployment!
As for the actual homecoming at the airport....it didn't go quite as I had pictured it in my mind.
I knew Geoff's plane was supposed to land at 11:15. I knew that we could meet him at the gate if I had a copy of his orders. The morning was going smoothly. I was getting some last minute cleaning done...the boys were playing well together. Then I started to get ready. I couldn't decide what to wear. I couldn't find matching shoes for the boys...as in one right shoe and one left shoe of the same kind not as in matching their outfit. And then I couldn't find the orders. I have known exactly where that piece of paper has been for the last 130-odd days...and I can't find them! I have been doing lots of paper organizing (filing, shredding, recycling) and I can't remember where I put it. Time is ticking...I am running SO late...and I say one last prayer and THINK about it and find the orders on top of a bookcase! I hurry the boys into the van and speed off to the airport. I arrive just after 11 (it is a small airport and we live only minutes away) and run to the security where they direct me to the check-in counter to get a pass for all of us. What?! I didn't know I had to get a pass. So we go over to the counters when I realize I don't know what airline he is flying on...find out from another agent that it is Delta....which of course is the only counter that is busy. I tried calling Geoff twice on his cell phone to tell him if he has landed just to come on down the escalator but he never received the message because he has no signal in the airport. I noticed that there wasn't anyone at the security area so I figured maybe I hadn't missed him....then my phone rings. It is Cortney calling to tell me that Geoff is at the baggage claim (which is literally around the corner....if I would have just kept walking 40 steps or so past security when I first arrived I probably would have found him)!
Geoff said that he went straight to the baggage claim when he knew the plane landed early. (Yes, his plane landed 15 minutes early...when does that happen?!!) Then he noticed people from the squadron starting to gather and he kind of just snuck up behind them. They jokingly told him that he needed to go up the escalator so they could welcome him officially. Our friends' kids even made signs that they didn't even get to hold up....I felt bad that we didn't get to meet him at the gate...but the the main outcome was achieved: Geoff home safe and healthy! Yay!

The boys saw Geoff coming...they smiled and immediately started pushing their Mater trucks on the floor. But they kept looking up at him and watching him. So they were aware, and happy, but just not sure what to do about it. It didn't take them long to warm up to him though.

Here is a video our friend Jason caught of our reunion:
http://sharing.theflip.com/session/218a4b239b276b9efd1eeea5d86d1142/video/6010820
Here is most of the crew who came out to welcome Geoff home:

The best signs ever! Thank you Lauren and Jacob!
The squadron left this amazing basket on our door with wine, sparkling cider, cheesecake, cheese and crackers and all kinds of goodies as a welcome home gift. We thought that was awesome.
And Geoff loved the welcome home sign. Thanks Cara for letting me borrow it! =)
To celebrate, we went to a restaurant on the beach for dinner than played in the sand afterward.

Perfect end to a perfect day.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

yay! i'm so glad he's home safe and you are back together. now for the big move! maybe we'll see you one last time before you leave.

pheather said...

I am so glad he's home safely! You did such a great job while he was gone, Andrea. I'm proud of YOU, too! :) I'm sorry that you were late getting to the airport (I know how the time can just sneak up on you so suddenly), but like you said - the important thing is that he's home! I'm sure the boys are loving having their Daddy back. We can't wait to see you all!
Love, Heather

genya Garrett said...

I'm sooo glad you guys are all back together and I can't wait to see you soon!

Leslie said...

Welcome home! It looks like family time on the beach after all that time apart was very special! What a great idea.

The Gall Family said...

We are honored that Geoff serves to protect our country! I am in awe at the wife/mom that do it - Andrea - YOU ROCK!! Thank you for doing what so many of us can not even imagine doing!! We are grateful for you!